Saturday, September 30, 2017

observation notebook

The major project for my Space Exploration class is to have a series of at least 25 observations of the sky based on certain tasks and criteria. I decided to take you along with me to see everything that I am doing, from last week until December 15th, when the notebook is due.

My first step was heading to Target to get a notebook. I chose this one because it was a little space-y looking. A friend of mine can do really good cursive, so I am going to have her write "observation notebook" all fancily on the front cover for me. In class, we made quadrants from a template, string, paper clips, and a straw. Quadrants are used to measure the altitude of an object above the horizon. My other supplies for these activities are: a compass, a star chart, the packet of directions, and my SkyView app. Last week I printed a calendar and went through the packet, writing down which day I was going to look at/for each thing.

Check out my pictures below and follow all the observations that I'll post as I do them.

 
these are all the observations I hope to make, but depending on whether or not there are clouds one night or if I have something else going on, I may not get them all

look through the straw at the object being observed and look for the angle as marked by the string...this is the object's altitude

1 comment: