Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Polaris, Cassiopeia, and the Big Dipper

For this task, I had to draw Polaris, Cassiopeia, and the Big Dipper (part of Ursa Major), relative to each other and the horizon. Unfortunately, trees were blocking my full view of the Big Dipper, but I still had so much fun going out and figuring out what was where and drawing it all out. I think it's really cool that now I am able to recognize another constellation. Not sure if this is a weird way to feel, but I really like the constellation Cassiopeia and now I get excited each time I see it (not sure if that's because it was my first new constellation or if I actually love it). It also made me feel really good that I was able to accurately identify Vega even though I was in a different location than when I'd seen it before. I used my quadrant and compass to determine the locations of Polaris, Dubhe (the top right star of the bowl of the Big Dipper), and the center of the triangle of Cassiopeia. Their altitudes are (respectively): 30°, 13°, 40° (azimuths are labeled in the diagram). It's so relaxing and peaceful going out at night looking at the stars, learning and becoming confident with identifications. I hope that I will continue to look at constellations in the night sky, beyond the extent of this class, so that I will always be able to easily identify some of these great celestial sights.


Related Observations:
Polaris, Cassiopeia, and the Big Dipper Later in the Year  http://northstargazer.blogspot.com/2017/12/polaris-cassiopeia-and-big-dipper-later.html?m=1
Polaris, Cassiopeia, and the Big Dipper Later in the Night  http://northstargazer.blogspot.com/2017/12/polaris-cassiopeia-and-big-dipper-later_29.html?m=1


2 comments:

  1. I too like this W shaped asterism. Have you heard the Sara Bareilles song with the same name? Apparently, much of her The Blessed Unrest album was inspired by astronomy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hadn't heard of that, but I will definitely look into it - it sounds great! Thanks so much and thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete