Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1, 2018

Happy New Year, everyone!! 

My Observation Notebook project is finished now (although I still have more observations to post here) but I am happy to announce that I'll be continuing my observations. My dad surprised me this Christmas with this notebook that he ordered with my blog logo and a star chart printed on the front. In here, I'll be doing my own personal observation notebook. Since this one is separate from class, the format will be a little different because there are no guidelines. And as for the blog posts, I'm not sure exactly how I'll set them up but for this one, I'm typing out the paragraph I wrote in the notebook, adding a little bit more. 
Thanks so much for reading! Here's to a great 2018- I'm looking forward to continuing to explore the night sky together!




Just as I was going to bed at almost 2 am, I could see how bright it was outside, so I got up and looked out my window. The moon was full and bright at due west, and I could see part of Orion. Through the window, without my glasses on, I could see the red of Betelgeuse - if that tells you anything about how dark and clear the sky was! I'm not positive, but this might've been my first time seeing Sirius, which is the brightest star in the night sky. It most certainly was the brightest star, so much that I had to check the SkyView app to see what star it was because at first sight I thought it must have been a satellite or something! Wow, that was an amazing sight in itself! The moon's light created a beautiful shadows of the trees in the snow on the ground- another sight in which I took delight. I remember thinking that it was cool that January 1st was a Full Moon, but when I looked it up, according to moongiant.com, on December 31st, the moon was 96% illuminated and 99% on January 1st - "not quite a full moon." But even if it doesn't fall right on the start of a new year, that only means that I have tonight to look forward to as even more spectacular.

                   Shine bright and keep dreaming,
                               ✰North Star Gazer

1 comment:

  1. I like your new observation notebook. How nice of your dad to get you that! I also like that you type out the written text, I can't always read what you write. Thanks for sharing your observations!

    ReplyDelete