Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 10, 2018

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting much lately, but I'm back! I had a burst of inspiration so get excited for the fun posts I have planned! (Seriously, earlier today I was tearing up looking at something that you'll hopefully get to see very soon)


⭐   ☆   ⭐   ☆   ⭐



Facing 165° south, it was interesting to note the shifts in the positions of the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, and Spica since my previous observations, which were all generally at the same time. On November 28th, Jupiter was much closer to the horizon, Mars and Spica were almost next to one another, and there was no Moon (see picture below). This change is due to the differences in the orbits of the planets around the Sun. In this observation, Mars did not appear as red as it does other days. The Moon was in the waxing crescent phase. Also, the coloring of this picture does not do the sky justice- the sunrise was a much more vivid orange.

2 comments:

  1. Why was Mars not so red? Do you think we could live on Mars someday ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sky must have just not been as clear - it didn't have its typical red 'glow'

      I think we can and I really hope we will, and that we'll live to get to see it happen! I'm excited for the future of space exploration!

      Delete